Informed Consent for Services

In order to make an informed decision about whether services are right for you/your child, you will be informed about the services for which you qualify, their known risks and benefits, alternatives you might consider and the waiting times that might be involved. This information is intended to help you make the best choices for you/your child. If you do not understand the information being provided by staff, please ask for clarification or for more information. It is our job to help you understand.

If you feel that you could benefit from external advice regarding treatment options, please feel free to get such advice (such as from an external health care provider, a lawyer, or other advisor).

In addition to the decision about whether to obtain service at ROCK, there are other decision points as service proceeds. You and your family will have the opportunity to participate in the development of an individualized care plan that meets your/your child and family’s needs and preferences. Your/Your child’s care plan will be reviewed on a regular basis, with your family’s input and the input of all those who participated in developing the plan. In each situation, informed consent is required in order to proceed. You have the right to say no to a proposed plan and to be made aware of possible alternatives.

When important decisions are made regarding the services that you/your child are/is receiving, you will be asked to verbally acknowledge/sign a document which indicates that you have made an informed decision to participate in the care plan. Whenever significant changes are made to your/your child’s care plan, you will always be asked whether you agree to these changes. You can say yes or no every time.

Decision-Making Ability

A child may make service decisions and/or privacy decisions if they are deemed “capable.” A “capable” child/youth can request and receive our services without a parent/guardian’s consent.  However, we review and encourage the involvement of parents/guardians whenever possible. Where the youth is at-risk or is seeking live-in treatment, the involvement of parents/guardians is sought.

Separation or Divorce

Many families go through the difficult process of separating and/or divorcing, and this can have an impact on the mental health of your children. In some instances, families seek professionals to help their children understand and cope with changes in your family’s situation.

There is a wide range of legal decision-making arrangements for your children and we respect that. Some families that we see have a written agreement that helps answer the question of who needs to give consent for their child to begin service.  If necessary, you may be asked to provide this information as you engage in service making decisions.